Lat: 19.0°S, Long: 8.0°W, Diam: 70 km, Depth: 0.7 km, Rükl: 54
LO-IV-113H Promontorium Taenarium is the western part of the hilly peninsula sweeping across the frame from the east. The small circular craters just west of the headland are 4-km Lassell S (in the north) and 5-km Thebit D (in the south). Thebit D is at the northern end of the “Straight Wall” (Rupes Recta), visible as the dark gash running to the lower margin. The channel to its west is a part of the Rima Birt.
Depth data from Kurt Fisher database
- Viscardy, 1985: 0.7 km
- Taenarium is the ancient name for the cape at the southern tip of mainland Greece, now known as Matapan or Tainaron.
- According to Whitaker (p. 208), the name Promontorium Taenarium was used by Hevelius, but for a completely different feature: the bright point at Guericke B.
- The name was apparently first associated with the modern feature by Tobias Mayer, who spelled it without the "T". Mayer's spelling was copied by Beer and Mädler, and adopted into the original IAU nomenclature by Blagg and Müller (1935).
- The spelling was corrected to its present form in Table III of the Photographic Lunar Atlas, which was approved by the IAU in 1961.
- The hilly region east of Promontorium Taenarium is called the Taenarium range on Rand Mc.Nally's moonmap and also on the same moonmap in Patrick Moore's Atlas of the Universe (1983). Research Danny Caes.