Rükl Zone 62 - SCHICKARD
Neighboring maps on the Rükl Nearside Map:
(This map is based on an Earth-based photograph that has been computer-corrected to zero libration. The vertical white lines indicate the left and right boundaries of the Rükl rectangle)
Background image source
- Clausius (J.Hewelcke's Montana Pharan).
- Dark V (a nickname from D.Caes for the officially unnamed "V"-shaped lake at 36 degrees South/ 35 degrees West, south-southwest of Lepaute).
- Dorsum Clausius H (an unofficial name from D.Caes for the wrinkle ridge near Clausius H, in the long lobate scarp south of Vitello and east of Lacus Excellentiae).
- Dorsum Vitello R (an unofficial name from D.Caes for the short wrinkle ridge in Lacus Vitello R, south of Vitello itself) (note: this short wrinkle ridge is part of the long lobate scarp east of Lacus Excellentiae) (see photograph in LROC RDR Product Lunar Lobate Scarps).
- Fons Tadnos (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the two dark patches on the floor of Schickard).
- Lacus Excellentiae (Van Langren's Lacus Masii, J.Hewelcke's Montana Pharan, Riccioli's Kristmannus) (note: there's an unnamed lobate scarp east of Lacus Excellentiae, south of Vitello) (this scarp needs investigation).
- Lacus Vitello R (an unofficial name from D.Caes for the low-albedo region immediately south of Vitello) (contains the craterlet Vitello R, and part of the unnamed lobate scarp mentioned above).
- Mons Nitriae (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the dark spots at Lepaute D).
- Mons Troicus (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the northeastern part of the wall of Schickard).
- Nobelarii (Van Langren's disallowed name for the low-albedo crater Drebbel E, northeast of Lehmann).
- Quaresini (Van Langren's disallowed name for the hill Lee Eta) (see page 196 in E.A.Whitaker's Mapping and Naming the Moon) (if I only knew the pinpoint location of Lee Eta...) (I wonder if there will ever be Greek letter designations on the LROC's Act-React Quick Map...).
- Schickard (note: the dark spots on the floor of Schickard were called Savedrae and Vici by Van Langren).
- SMART-1 (impacted on September 3, 2006, slightly west of Lacus Excellentiae).
- Terra Caloris (Riccioli's discontinued name for the whole of Chart 62).
- Unexpected remains of a possible basin (see this page).
- Vitello (Van Langren's Bickeri).
Lettered Crater Locations
(click on the thumbnails to view full-sized images; use browser BACK button to return to this page)
Full zone with lettered craters
Lettered craters by quadrants
(the dashed white lines are the centerlines of the Rükl zones)
- Note the dark "V"-shaped figure at 36°30' South/ 35° West (an unnamed lacus) which is noticeable during and after Full Moon.- DannyCaes Nov 20, 2008