(formerly Maskelyne E)
Lat: 6.2°N, Long: 35.1°E, Diam: 22 km, Depth: 0.65 km, Rükl: 36
LPOD Photo Gallery Lunar Orbiter Images Apollo Images
- Although Maskelyne E (Aryabhata) is not mentioned in the LPI's Apollo-search, it WAS frequently photographed during the Apollo project!- DannyCaes May 15, 2010
- Apollo 8's orbital photograph AS8-13-2345 shows Aryabhata near the frame's upper right corner.
Research: Danny Caes
HiRes-scan of Apollo 8 photograph: David Woods and Frank O'Brien (Apollo 8 Flight Journal).
Depth data from Kurt Fisher database
- Westfall, 2000: 0.65 km
- Named for Aryabhata I (476-c.550), an Indian astronomer and mathematician.
- Maskelyne E was Catalog entry 247 in the original IAU nomenclature of Blagg and Müller. The name is attributed to Mädler.
- This replacement name for the formerly lettered crater was apparently introduced on LTO-61D2 (for which it served as the chart title). The name was "approved as assigned" in IAU Transactions XVIIB (1979), although chart didn't actually appear until February, 1980, by which time the DMA no longer followed its recent practice of avoiding or replacing lettered crater names. - Jim Mosher
- One could only wonder why the almost identical looking Maskelyne F (south of Maskelyne E / Aryabhata) didn' t receive its own name.- DannyCaes May 15, 2010