Pictorial Guide to the Moon
Dinsmore Alter: Pictorial Guide to the Moon (1963, 1967, 1973)(glossary entry)
Well illustrated popular text.
- Alter died in 1968, after preparing the 2nd edition.
- The 3rd edition was revised and expanded by Joseph H. Jackson.
- Early Observations of the Lunar Surface
- General Conditions at the Moon's Surface
- Identification of Lunar Features
- The Waxing Moon
- The Full Moon
- The Waning Moon
- Copernicus Through the Month
- Tycho Through the Month
- Sunset on Ptolemaeus
- The Nature of the Lunar Maria
- The Nature of the Typical Mountain-Walled Plains
- The Explosion of Craters
- The Nature of the Domes and Small Craters of the Moon
- The Nature of the Lunar Rays
- Peculiar Features of the Surface
- Residual Outgassing
- Tides Today and Through the Ages
- The Evolution of the Moon
- Lunar Photographs from Space Vehicles (added in 2nd edition)
- Lunar Photographs from the Surface (added in 3rd edition)
- Man's Future on the Moon
- 1st edition published in 1963.
- 2nd edition published in 1967.
- Alter, Dinsmore, and Joseph Hollister Jackson. 1973. Pictorial guide to the moon. New York: Crowell (3rd Edition),