Oberth(formerly Yamamoto W)
|Lat: 62.4°N, Long: 155.4°E, Diam: 60 km, Depth: km, Rükl: (farside)|
- Oberth was captured near the northern margin of Lunar Orbiter 5 frame 53 Medium; west (or "to the left") of Avogadro.
- See the High-Resolution scans of LOV-53-Medium.
- Research: Danny Caes
(LAC zone 17B2) USGS Digital Atlas PDF
Hermann; Austrian space scientist (1894-1989).
Hermann Oberth and Flying Saucers
- It's a bit strange, to know that Hermann Oberth was one of many who wanted to accept the extraterrestrial origin of so-called flying saucers. How do the people of the International Astronomical Union (I.A.U.) think about Hermann Oberth's quite dubious way of thinking?
- Several UFO books contain photographs which show Hermann Oberth at UFO conventions in Germany.
Mr Oberth was not convinced
- Page 82 of Norman Mailer's wonderful book MOONFIRE - The epic journey of Apollo 11 shows the well-known group photo in which Hermann Oberth, Wernher von Braun, Ernst Stuhlinger, Eberhard Rees, and General H.N.Toftoy are seen around a table, partly seated and partly standing. Behind them, several rocket scale-models are standing on the table. There seems to be two or more different versions of that photograph. Page 82 shows the version in which Hermann Oberth looks quite sceptical into the lens. It's as if mr.Oberth thought: "Is he (the photographer) sure about his camera? Did he put a roll of film in it?". (photo Hank Walker).