Lat: 13.3°N, Long: 3.6°E, Diam: 245 km, Depth: km, Rükl: 33
LPOD Photo Gallery Lunar Orbiter Images Apollo Images
(LAC zone 59B1) LAC map Geologic map
- Mare area of 32,400 km^2 according to measurements by Jim Whitford-Stark.
- A tiny starlike spot at 14°30' North/ 0°15' West (at the western "rim" of Mare Vaporum) is an interesting telescopic target during Full Moon.- DannyCaes Jan 11, 2009 See also LAC 59 (page 118) of the Clementine Atlas of the Moon (B.Bussey/ P.Spudis).
- "Sea of Vapors".
- Section of the Face of the Woman in the Moon.
- Section of Ed Murray's C or Dark C.
- Called Hecates Penetralia (Hecate's Shrine) by Gassendi in late 1630s [Whitaker: Mapping and Naming the Moon, p 33].
- In the northern part of Mare Vaporum is a surface formation which is known as Morotcha. This unofficial name was printed on the greenish Rand Mc.Nally moonmap and on the same moonmap in Patrick Moore's Atlas of the Universe (1983). The exact origin of that name is unknown. Research: Danny Caes. The exact location of this enigmatic surface formation is perhaps captured on LPOD A New Look (?), or perhaps in the LPOD Micro-Treasures (?). Could it be the Hook-and-Dome formation immediately west of Rima Yangel'? See LPOD No Longer Unremarkable.
Vaporum: Crater or Basin A New Look
Dome in Mare Vaporum (the Hook-and-Dome mentioned in the Nomenclature section above).
APOLLO OVER THE MOON; A VIEW FROM ORBIT, Chapter 3: The Terrae (Part 1), Figure 35.