Guest and Greeley
J.E. Guest and R. Greeley: Geology on the Moon (1977)(glossary entry)
Part of the now-defunct Wykeham Science Series of introductory texts for advanced high school and beginning college students, this is a particularly clear and well-written review of the forces that are thought to have molded the lunar surface features.
- Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. A geological approach to the Moon
- 3. Circular basins
- 4. The maria
- 5. Impact cratering mechanics
- 6. Large lunar craters
- 7. Small craters
- 8. Erosion, regolith and shock metamorphism
- 9. The highlands (terrae)
- 10. Stratigraphy
- 11. Internal structure and geophysics
- 12. Beyong the Moon
- 13. Epilogue
- Contains lots of orbital lunar photographs, made by the Lunar Orbiters and during Apollo's scientific J-missions (Fairchild- and Itek-camera photographs).
- Also available in a German language translation by Wolf von Engelhardt.
- Guest, John, and Ronald Greeley. 1977. Geology on the moon. The Wykeham science series. London: Wykeham Publications. x, 235 pp.; 21 cm
- Guest, John Edward, R. Greeley, and Wolf von Engelhardt. 1979. Geologie auf dem Mond. Stuttgart: Enke.