Atlas of the Other Side of the Moon
N. P. Barabashov et al.: Atlas of the Other Side of the Moon(glossary entry)
Based on photos returned by Luna 3, this is the first book to show and attempt to describe a portion of the hemisphere of the Moon not visible from Earth. Although the quality of the observations was poor, this book, first published in Russian in 1960, was highly influential and appeared in several versions and translations because, for nearly six years the Luna 3 photos were the only ones showing any part of the Moon's farside.
- The authors are usually listed as N. P. Barabashov, A. A. Mikhailov, and Yu. N. Lipsky. They represent the three main centers of scientific research tasked with analyzing and interpreting the Luna 3 photography: Barabashov led the Kharkov University group in the Ukraine; Mikhailov the Pulkovo Observatory/Lenningrad University researchers; and Lipsky the Moscow State/Sternberg Institute group.
- The book reportedly contains 28 Luna 3 photos accompanied by 4 outline maps and descriptions of 498 features.
- Luna 3 viewed the Moon under high Sun conditions from a longitude of approximately 120°E, so only a portion of the farside was visible; and features that could be distinguished were mostly albedo variations.
- The book ("Atlas of the Far Side of the Moon (Editors: N. P. Barabashov, A. A. Mikhailov and Y. N. Lipsky, Moscow 1960)" was presented to the IAU at its 1961 Meeting in Berkeley, California, where the Russian scientists sought official recognition for the names they had assigned to the farside features.
- 18 of the proposed names were adopted by the IAU, although many of the names were later moved to other features when later space missions were unable to confirm anything of significance at the originally reported locations.
- Akademii︠a︡ nauk SSSR., and N. P. Barabashov. 1960. Atlas of the far side of the moon; translation. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio: Prepared by Liaison Office, Technical Information Center, MCLTD; distributed by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Office of Technical Services, Washington.
- Akademii︠a︡ nauk SSSR., and N. P. Barabashov. 1961. Atlas of the other side of the moon (transl. by L. Ter-Oganian). New York: Pergamon Press.
- Akademii︠a︡ nauk SSSR., and N. P. Barabashov. 1961. An atlas of the moon's far side; the Lunik III reconnaissance (transl. Richard B. Rodman). New York: Interscience Publishers.
- Note: there is reportedly also a version published in 1961 by the University of Michigan, possibly different from any of the above.
- Lipskiy, Yu. N.; et al. 1969. Atlas of the Reverse Side of the Moon, Part II. (Atlas of far side of moon, Part 2, from photographic data obtained by Zond 3 in July 1965 covering entire invisible hemisphere) "Nauka" Press, Moscow, 1967. Also published as NASA-TT-F-514， 1969.
- Lipskij, Yu. N. 1975. Atlas of the far side of the moon. Part III. Akademiya Nauk SSSR. Izdatel'stvo "Nauka", Moskva, 240 p
- Dommanget, J. 1962. Barabashov, N. P., Mikhaïlov, A. A., Lipskiy, Y. N. - Atlas of the other side of the Moon. Ciel et Terre, Vol. 78, p. 159.
- Butler, H. E. 1962. Atlas of the other side of the Moon N. P. Barabashov, A. A. Mikhailov, Yu. N. Lipskiy (Eds.). Planetary and Space Science, Volume 9, Issue 5, p. 291-291.
- Brück, H. A. 1962. Atlas Of the Other Side of the Moon. Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, vol. 24, no. 4, p. 328.
- Breido, I. I.; Shchegolev, D. E. 1962. Schematic Chart of the Far Side of the Moon. In: The Moon, (Kopal, Z., and Mikhailov, Z. K., editors) IAU Symposium 14, Academic Press, pp. 25-38.
- Lipsky, Y. N. 1962. A Study of Photographs of the Far Side of the Moon and Description of Singular Features Revealed on its Surface. In: The Moon, (Kopal, Z., and Mikhailov, Z. K., editors) IAU Symposium 14, Academic Press, pp. 7-24.
- Markov, A. V. 1962. Probable Structure and Nature of the Formations on the Reverse Side of the Moon According to Photometric Measurements of Lunar Photographs. In: The Moon, (Kopal, Z., and Mikhailov, Z. K., editors) IAU Symposium 14, Academic Press, pp. 39-44.
- Mikhailov, A. A. 1962. The Reverse Side of the Moon. In: The Moon, (Kopal, Z., and Mikhailov, Z. K., editors) IAU Symposium 14, Academic Press, pp. 3-6.