Rükl Zone 2 - PYTHAGORAS
Neighboring maps on the Rükl Nearside Map:
(This map is based on an Earth-based photograph that has been computer-corrected to zero libration. The vertical white lines indicate the left and right boundaries of the Rükl rectangle)
Background image source
Nearside Named Features
- Basin U6 (see description near bottom of this Rukl page).
- Bianchini (Van Langren's Claramontii) (note: on the Strasbourg forgery of Van Langren's map this crater was called Monconisii).
- Bouguer (J.Hewelcke's Mons Atlas Major) (together with La Condamine).
- Desargues (this crater, or perhaps another nearby, was once called Arthur by H.P.Wilkins).
- Handcuffs/ Twisted Arcs (two nicknames from D.Caes for a peculiar kind of formation at 57° North/ 34°30' West, see also chart 3).
- Harpalus (Van Langren's Morini) (note: on the Strasbourg forgery of Van Langren's map this crater was called Neuraei).
- Harpalus Lambda (hill east-southeast of Harpalus, north of Foucault), Harpalus Gamma and Harpalus Xi (two hills west-northwest of Harpalus). See Chart 1 in the Times Atlas of the Moon.
- J. Herschel
- La Condamine (J.Hewelcke's Mons Atlas Major) (together with Bouguer).
- Mare Frigoris (Van Langren's Mare Astronomicum, J.Hewelcke's Mare Hyperboreum) (the westernmost part of it, between J.Herschel and Harpalus).
- Mauritania (regio) (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the region north and southwest of Sinus Iridum).
- Montes Foucault (a disallowed name for the mountains just west and north of Foucault).
- Pythagoras (Van Langren's Pythagorae, this is one of the very few names of Van Langren which are still anchored at their original location).
- Rainbow Heights (a disallowed name for the region nearby Maupertuis, north of Montes Jura and Sinus Iridum, Chart 10).
- Regio Hyperborea (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the northern limb region).
- Robinson (aka Tableland Robinson).
- Sinus Iridum highlands (a disallowed name from T.G.Elger for the mountainous region northwest of Sinus Iridum and Montes Jura, Chart 10).
- Sinus Orientalis (J.Hewelcke's disallowed name for the western end of Mare Frigoris).
- Terra Pruinae (Riccioli's discontinued name for the region south of Mare Frigoris) (Van Langren's Terra Laboris, J.Hewelcke's Mauritania).
- Terra Siccitatis (Riccioli's discontinued name for the region north of Mare Frigoris) (Van Langren's Terra Honoris).
- Thornton (a disallowed name from H.P.Wilkins for a near-the-limb crater nearby Desargues).
- Vallis J.Herschel (an unofficial name from D.Caes for the shallow valley at 61°30' North/ 47° West, near the southwestern part of J.Herschel's rim).
Farside Named Features
(The following features are not formally included in the present Rükl rectangle, but they are adjacent to it and their centers are less than 10° beyond the mean limb -- so they may be seen here in whole or in part with a favorable libration)
Lettered Crater Locations
(click on the thumbnails to display full-sized images; use browser BACK button to return - the dashed white lines are the midpoints of the Rükl zones)
Full zone with lettered craters:
Lettered craters by quadrants:
The region slightly north of La Condamine (in or near Mare Frigoris) seems to be the centre of a basin which is unofficially known as U6. Source: the nearside map in the page Lunar Basins List. - DannyCaes Sep 22, 2013