Runge (very near the centre of Mare Smythii)
Lat: 2.54°S, Long: 86.78°E, Diam: 38.98 km, Depth: 0.23 km, Rükl: 49
Right: LO-IV-009M This is an area that is poorly represented in any of the Lunar Orbiter images that are readily available on-line. The IAU-named features visible in this rectified version of a photo taken with the medium resolution camera are: Haldane, Talbot, Runge, and Warner.
LPOD Photo Gallery Lunar Orbiter Images Apollo Images
Clementine UV-VIS Multispectral Mosaic
(LAC zone 81B2) USGS Digital Atlas PDF LTO map
- IAU page: Runge
- Depth data from Kurt Fisher database
- Pike, 1976: 0.23 km
- There seems to be a Skylight in or near the floor of crater Runge, a survey of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter's (LRO's) NAC images is needed.
- Named for Carl David Tolme Runge (1856-1927), a German mathematician.
- This name appears on LTO-81B2 (for which it served as the chart title). It does not appear to replace any previous IAU-approved designation. Although it appears in the cumulative list of approved names printed in IAU Transactions XVB, when and how it came to be approved is not entirely clear from the IAU record. Biographical information was unofficially reported in Ashbrook, 1974. - JimMosher
- Perhaps interesting to know that there was also a Philipp Otto Runge (1777-1810), the inventor of the "Farbenkugel" (color sphere). - DannyCaes Jan 23, 2014
Named Features -- Prev: Mons Rümker -- Next: Russell