Ralph Baldwin: The Face of the Moon (1949) & The Measure of the Moon (1963)(glossary entry)
Two highly influential books providing evidence for the meteoritic origin of many craters on the Moon and establishing probably lunar timescales.
- Baldwin's views of the Moon were influenced, in part, by his experiences developing fuses for explosives during World War II.
- Although professionally trained as an astronomer, Baldwin's main job was running a family owned tool-making company.
- The second book (1963) expands on the first (1949), making a much stronger case.
- The 1965 book is a text for college students, summarizing both Baldwin's views and those of others.
- Contents of The Measure of the Moon
- Outline of the Problem
- Modern Terrestrial Meteoritic Craters
- Probable and Possible Terrestrial Meteoritic Craters
- Ancient Meteroritic Craters and Cryptovolcanic Structures
- Crater Frequency on Earth and Moon
- Characteristics of Explosion Craters, Terrestrial Meteoritic Craters, and Lunar Craters
- Relationships between Crater Parameters
- Determination of Energies Needed to Produce Meteoritic Craters
- Variations in Lunar Craters as Functions of their Ages
- The Problem of the Moon's Motion and Shape
- The Shape of the Moon and the New Contour Map
- Nature of the Lunar-Surface Materials as Determined by Reflected Light
- Nature of the Lunar-Surface Materials as Determined by Heat Measures at Infrared and Radio Frequencies
- Analyses of Earlier Theories of the Moon's History
- The Circular Maria and Related Structures
- The Lava Flows
- The Atmosphere of the Moon
- The Lunar Rays
- The Central Peaks of Lunar Craters
- Rilles, Wrinkles and Faults
- The Lunar Grid System
- The Heat Balance of the Moon
- Magnetic Field of the Moon
- Recent Changes on the Moon
- Summary and Conclusions
- Derivation of the Replationship between the Distance of the Moon and Geologic Time
- The Lunar Tidal Bulge as a Function of the Moon's Distance
- A pocket in the back cover contains a Lunar Map "based on the original drawing by Karel Andel, published in 1926 as Mappa Selenographica." The map index lists 26 "Mountains and Valleys" lettered "a".."z" and 300 numbered craters. Mare, Lacus, Palus, Sinus and Oceanus names are printed directly on the map.
- Baldwin, Ralph Belknap. 1949. The face of the moon. [Chicago]: Univ. of Chicago Press.
- Baldwin, Ralph Belknap. 1963. The measure of the moon. [Chicago]: University of Chicago Press.
- Baldwin, Ralph Belknap. 1965. A fundamental survey of the moon. McGraw-Hill series in undergraduate astronomy. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Baldwin, Ralph B. 2000. Barringer Medal Address. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, Vol. 35, pp. A13-A18.