|Lat: 4.7°S, Long: 90.4°E, Diam: 23 km, Depth: km, Rükl: (farside)|
AS15-M-0920 When the Sun is high (66.6 deg in this view), the floor of Hume, the large crater at the top, appears to be sprayed with rays from the unnamed fresh crater at the bottom. In the lower left corner, 23-km Swasey is partially visible.
LPOD Photo Gallery Lunar Orbiter Images Apollo Images
- Apollo 10's south looking oblique photograph AS10-33-4888 shows Hume near the frame's upper margin. At centre the bright ray-craterlet immediately south of Hume.
- An oblique westward view at Hume is noticeable in Apollo 17's orbital ITEK-panoramic frame AS17-P-2889. Hume is the somewhat bay-shaped crater at the very centre of that frame.
- Wonderful dark "spokes" are noticeable on the inner slopes of bowl-shaped crater Hume Z (the LTO's Li Po, north of Hume itself) which was captured near the left margin of Apollo 15's orbital southward looking ITEK-panoramic frame AS15-P-9101.
- A northward looking view at Hume Z is Apollo 15's AS15-P-9725 (scroll all the way toward the right margin of the frame). See also Apollo 14's Hasselblad AS14-72-10015.
Research orbital Apollo photography: Danny Caes
The unnamed young fresh ray-craterlet with bright ejecta blanket, near Hume (between Hume and Hirayama) is described and depicted in NASA SP-362, APOLLO OVER THE MOON; A VIEW FROM ORBIT, Chapter 5: Craters (Part 2), Figure 108. See also AS14-72-10012.
David; Scottish philosopher (1711-1776).
- This name was provisionally introduced on LTO-82A4. It does not appear to replace any previous IAU-approved designation for this feature. The new name was approved in 1976 (IAU Transactions XVIB). - Jim Mosher
- Hume Z is called Li Po on LTO 82-A1. Who was Li Po? (Li Bai). See this Wikipedia-page.
A certain David Hume in Carl Sagan's COSMOS
Is this the same David Hume as the IAU's?
Carl Sagan (page 79) :
"David Hume, in many cases an uncompromising rationalist, at least toyed with the notion that comets were the reproductive cells - the eggs or sperm - of planetary systems, that planets are produced by a kind of interstellar sex."