Lat: 41.1°N, Long: 54.83°E, Diam: 33.03 km, Depth: 1.47 km, Rükl: 15
Table of Contents
LOIV 067 H2
(IAU Directions) HOOKE.--Another irregular ring-plain, 28 miles in diameter, on the N.W. of Messala. There is a bright crater of considerable size on the S.E., which is said to be more than 6,000 feet in depth, and, according to Neison, is visible as a white spot at full. There is a smaller crater on the slope of the N.E. wall.
- Robert Hooke, FRS (July 18, 1635 – March 3, 1703) was an English polymath who played an important role in the scientific revolution, through both experimental and theoretical work. In 1660, he discovered Hooke's law of elasticity, which describes the linear variation of tension with extension in an elastic spring. Hooke coined the biological term cell, so called because his observations of plant cells reminded him of monks' cells which were called "cellula."
- Hooke was a rival of Newton in the development of the reflecting telescope, and his drawing of the lunar crater Hipparchus, published as Observation 60 in his 1665 Micrographia has been much admired. He followed up on his telescopic observations by attempting to recreate the observed pattern of craters by dropping bullets into clay and boiling alabaster. - JimMosher JimMosher
- Hooke's drawing was among those selected for display at a 2009 exhibit honoring 400 years of the telescope.
- The name "Hooke" was introduced by Schröter (Whitaker, p. 218).
A certain Hooke (Robert Hooke?) in the Sourcebook Project (William R. Corliss)
- In Mysterious Universe, a handbook of astronomical anomalies (1979) :
- Page 379: The Canals of Mars (E. Walter Maunder, Knowledge, 1894). Note: in this article, the name Hooke is briefly mentioned because of early telescopic observations of the Martian "Kaiser Sea", the "Maraldi Sea", and the "Oculus", by Hooke, Cassini, Herschel, Schroeter, Beer, Madler, Dawes, Lockyer, Knobel, and Green. - DannyCaes DannyCaes Apr 19, 2015
This page has been edited 1 times. The last modification was made by - tychocrater tychocrater on Jun 13, 2009 3:24 pm - afx3u3